ELEMENTARY GRAMMAR -TEST 7
– Past Simple
– Regular verbs, irregular verbs
– Time expressions
1. He _____ some new shoes last month.
2. Where _____ you _____ on holiday last year?
A) did / went
B) go / did
C) did / go
D) do / go
3. A: _____ you _____ Jane last month?
B: No, I _____ .
A) * / saw / didn’t
B) Did / see / didn’t
C) Did / saw / didn’t
D) Did / see / did
4. A: _____ did she _____ a job?
B: In the car factory.
A) When / get
B) Where / got
C) Who / get
D) Where / get
5. Max didn’t _____ yesterday afternoon; he _____ at home.
A) go out / stayed
B) go out / stay
C) went out / stayed
D) went out / stay
6. Geoffrey _____ French before, but he _____ at university now.
A) study didn’t / studies
B) didn’t study / study
C) did not study / studies
D) didn’t studied / studies
7. A: _____ did they have _____ lunch?
B: Soup & fish.
A) What / on
B) What / for
C) Where / in
D) Who / for
8. A: Where _____ you last week?
B: I _____ in Alabama.
A) were / were
B) was / is
C) were / was
D) was / were
9. I usually _____ for 6 hours a day, but I _____ for 8 hours yesterday.
A) work / worked
B) works / worked
C) worked / worked
D) work / work
10. Rosemary often _____ to work by bus, but she _____ to work by taxi
A) got / get
B) gets / got
C) get / got D) got / got
11. Bonny and Nick _____ tennis last weekend, but they rarely _____
A) played / play
B) play / play
C) play / plays
D) play / played
12. It _____ a lot in winter here, but it _____ last year.
A) snows / rains
B) snowed / rained
C) snow / rain
D) snows / rained
13. Last year it _____ for three months, but it _____ just for two weeks.
A) snows / rains
B) snowed / rained
C) snowing / raining
D) snow / raining
14. A: _____ it snow a little in winter in Holland?
B: Yes, it _____ . But last winter it _____ snow at all.
A) Do / do / didn’t
B) Does / do / doesn’t
C) Does / does / didn’t
D) Do / does / don’t
15. A: _____ you usually work for 8 hours a day?
B: Yes, I _____ . But last week I _____ for 8 hours a day.
A) Do / do / didn’t work
B) Do / did / didn’t worked
C) Did / did / don’t work
D) Do / did / don’t work
16. A: _____ Alex _____ you yesterday evening?
B: No, he _____ .
A) Did / helped / didn’t
B) Did / helped / did
C) Did / help / did
D) Did / help / didn’t
17. It _____ Jack’s birthday two days ago.
18. A: Who _____ you eat with?
B: Well, I _____ dinner with friends.
A) did / eat
B) did / eats
C) did / ate
D) did / eaten
19. Ann usually _____ to work, but yesterday she_____ .
A) drive / walks
B) drives / walked
C) drove / walked
D) drive / walk
20. It usually _____ a lot in winter but last year it _____ .
A) rains / snowed
B) rains / snows
C) rain / snowed
D) rain /snow
21. Ann and Max usually _____ sailing at weekends, but last weekend
they _____ tennis.
A) goes / played
B) go / played
C) went / play
D) went / played
22. My family left London and moved _____ a small village.
23. People all _____ the world speak English.
24. What do you know _____ George Washington?
25. Now she _____ alone, but when she was a child she _____ with her
mother and sisters.
A) live / lived
B) lives / lived
C) lived / lives
D) live / lived
26. Where _____ she live now ?
27. She _____ learn to read until she was 86.
28. Where _____ she live in 1950?
29. She _____ work when she was 8.
30. “_____ you like the film?”
“No, I _____ .”
A) Are / am not
B) Did / didn’t
C) Do / didn’t
D) Are / didn’t
31. She thinks _____ her past life.
32. He was tired _____ politics.
33. She died _____ a car crash.
34. People were afraid _____ her.
35. I _____ in Paris when I was six.
36. We _____ move to London.
37. “When _____ you have your last holiday?”
38. He _____ the school in 1994.
39. He _____ his wife, Maria, in 1998.
A) met B) meted C) meet D) meets
40. In my bedroom there’s a bed _____ a wardrobe.
41. Millions of people _____ to London for her Funeral when he died.
42. Peter stayed _____ his grandmother _____ Christmas.
A) at / in
B) to / in
C) on / at
43. We arrived _____ the airport _____ New York _____ 5:45 am.
A) at / in / at
B) to / in / at
C) on / at / at
D) at / at / in
44. Speak _____ me in English. It’s good practice _____ us.
A) to / with
B) of / of
C) to / for
D) with / on
45. There’s a postman _____ a letter _____ you.
A) with / for
B) with / to
C) at / to
D) at / at
46. I often think _____ the day we met.
47. Tuncay Atakan is an English teacher. He _____ English.
48. ‘Was there anyone at the office yesterday?’
‘ No, ______.’
A) they weren’t
B) there isn’t
C) there wasn’t
D) they didn’t
49. ‘Did she go to the cinema last night?’
‘No, she ______.’
50. ‘_____ they come by train?’
‘No, they came by plane.’
51. I came to live here three years _____ .
52. _____ month I went to Paris.
53. In my family we _____ dinner at seven o’clock.
54. There’s a bank _____ the bookshop.
D) straight ahead
55. I usually take the car because I don’t like _____ .
56. We _____ in a hotel in Frankfurt.
57. ‘Where can I buy some medicine?’
‘At the _____ in Cook Street.’
58. ‘______ ?’
‘He’s very nice.’
A) What does he look like?
B) What’s he like?
C) How is he?
D) How does he look?
ELEMENTARY Test: 7 -KEY
1-A 2-C 3-B 4-D 5-A 6-C 7-B 8-C
9-A 10-B 11-A 12-D 13-B 14-C 15-A 16-D
17-A 18-C 19-B 20-A 21-B 22-A 23-C 24-B
25-B 26-C 27-A 28-C 29-A 30-B 31-C 32-A
33-C 34-B 35-A 36-B 37-C 38-A 39-A 40-C
41-C 42-D 43-A 44-C 45-A 46-C 47-C 48-C
49-D 50-D 51-A 52-C 53-D 54-C 55-D 56-A