ACTIVE ENGLISH: BOOK 3 / PAGE 110/109 RELATIVE CLAUSE
Join the two sentences by means of a relative pronoun or adverb.
1. Some people are shy about speaking in public. Computers can help them.
2. Torture is inhuman. Torture was normal in Chile during Pinochet’s regime.
3. Mr Perkins is a bit deaf. He couldn’t hear the phone.
4. Diamond is a very hard substance. It is used for cutting.
5. A man has gone to prison. He shot two policemen.
6. Mary has got three sisters. All of them are married.
7. A building was destroyed in the fire. It has now been rebuilt.
8. Sheila is away from home a lot. Her job involves a lot of travelling.
9. Do you know the girl ? Tom is talking to her.
10. There was a strike at the car factory. It lasted ten days. It’s now over.
11. I met a friend last week. Her husband is an astronaut.
12. They asked me a lot of questions. Most of them were about general knowledge.
13. We saw the palace. Louis XIV lived there.
14. Tom cooked a meal . It was delicious.
15. I found a man’s wallet. He gave me a reward.
16. We stayed at the Grand Hotel. Ana recommended it to us.
17. I was looking for a book this morning. I have found it now.
18. The new conference centre was designed by Norman Foster. It will open tomorrow.
19. Sandra is going to marry a man. His brother is in my class.
20. A man woke me up. He gave me a letter. It contained some instructions.
21. That sunscreen with a high sun protection factor is very efficient. I don’t remember its name.
22. The car stopped at the entrance. It had its lights off.
23. I know many students. Their grades are very low.
24. Peter made some sandwiches. They all have been eaten.
25. Jim is one of my closest friends. I have known him for a very long time.
- Computers can help some people who are shy about speaking in public.
- Torture, which was normal in Chile during Pinochet’s regimen, is inhuman.
- Mr Perkins, who is a bit deaf, couldn’t hear…..
- Diamond, which is a hard substance, is used…
- The man who shot two policemen has gone to prison.
- Mary has got three sisters, all of whom are married
- The building which was destroyed in the fire has now been rebuilt.
- Sheila, whose job involves a lot of travelling, is away from home a lot.
- Do you know the girl (who) Tom is talking to? / to whom Tom is talking?
- The strike at the car factory, which lasted ten days, is now over.
- I met a friend last week whose husband is an astronaut.
- They asked me a lot of questions, most of which were general knowledge.
- We saw the palace where Luis XIV lived.
- The meal (which) Tom cooked was delicious/ Tom cooked a meal which was delicious.
- The man whose wallet I found gave me a reward.
- We stayed at the Grand Hotel, which Ann recommended to us.
- I have found the book (which) I was looking for this morning.
- The new conference centre, which was designed by….., will open tomorrow.
- Sandra is going to marry a man whose brother is in my class.
- The man who woke me up gave me a letter which contained some….
- The sun scream with a high sun protection whose name I don’t remember is very efficient.
- The car whose lights were off stopped at the entrance.
- I know many students whose grades are very low.
- All the sandwiches (which) Peter made have been eaten.
- Jim , who I’ve known for a very long time, is one of my closest friends.