ACTIVE ENGLISH: BOOK 2 / PAGE 63-62 MODALS PARAPHRASE
1. I’m sure she lost her job. (MUST)
She ______________________________________________________ her job.
2. Perhaps they will get engaged this year. (MAY)
They ________________________________________________________ this year.
3. I don’t think Robert resigned from work voluntarily. (HAVE)
Robert ______________________________________________________________________ voluntarily.
4. I am convinced that Julia has given up her job. (HAVE)
Julia ____________________________________________________ her job.
5. It is forbidden to feed animals in the ZOO. (NOT)
You _____________________________________________________ in the ZOO.
6. It isn’t necessary to do the shopping. The fridge is still full. (HAVE)
You ___________________________________________________________ the shopping.
The fridge is full.
7. It isn’t necessary to do the dusting at this very moment. You can do it later. (NEED)
You _________________________________________________________________ at this very moment.
8. My wife went on holiday and she packed too many clothes. (NEED)
My wife __________________________________________________________ clothes for holiday.
9. Jerry decided not to take the last exam as it was not necessary. (NEED)
Jerry ____________________________________________________________ last exam.
10. I have bought too much bread. (HAVE)
I ___________________________________________________________ so much bread.
11. It wasn’t necessary for Lucy do the ironing because her husband had done it for her. (HAVE)
Lucy did __________________________________________________________________________ it for her.
12. It isn’t necessary for you to have a visa when you travel to Great Britain. (DO)
You _____________________________________________________________________ to Great Britain.
13. You boss wanted you to make this phone call. (SUPPOSED)
You were ____________________________________________________ call.
14. Shall we eat out tonight? (LET’S)
15. I am sure Mike is a millionaire. (BE)
Mike __________________________________________________a millionaire.
16. I don’t believe she has paid so much for her packaged tour. (CAN)
She _________________________________________________________________ for her packaged tour.
17. She looks exhausted. For sure she worked on this project all night. (HAVE)
She must _____________________________________________ all night. She looks exhausted.
18. Let’s have a picnic in the forest. (WHY)
___________________________________________________ in the forest?
19. It would be a good idea to find a compromise. (HAD)
You ______________________________________________ a compromise.
20. You needn’t take a taxi. It’s not far away. (DO)
You ______________________________________ a taxi. It’s not far away.
21. It’s forbidden to smoke at the bus stop. (NOT)
You ____________________________________________ at the bus stop.
22. It’s forbidden to talk to the driver. (ALLOWED)
You _____________________________________________ to the driver.
23. It is likely that they will win the match. (ARE)
They _______________________________________________ the match.
24. It wasn’t necessary for Megan to pay so much for her car. (NEEDN’T)
Megan _________________________________________________________________ so much for her car.
25. Shall I help you with your assignment? (HAND)
Shall I _______________________________________________________________ with your assignment?
26. May I use your computer? (MIND)
Would _______________________________________________________________ your computer?
27. Perhaps Steven got stuck in the traffic jam in the city centre. (MAY)
Steven _______________________________________________________________ in the city centre.
28. Mary should continue working out. (KEEP)
May should _____________________________________________________ working out.
29. Is there any chance that of his popping a question this evening? (LIKELY)
Is he ___________________________________________________________ this evening?
30. My husband promised me he would clean my car. (WORD)
My husband __________________________________________________ would clean my car.
31. I’ll try as hard as I can to meet the deadline. (BEST)
I will _____________________________________________________ meet the deadline.
32. You can call me whenever you want. (GIVE)
You can ________________________________________________ whenever you want.
33. As he gets older, he also seems wiser. (THE)
The ____________________________________________________________ he seems.
1. She must have lost her job.
2. They may get engaged this year.
3. Robert can’t have resigned from work voluntarily.
4. Julia must have given up her job.
5. You must not feed animals in the ZOO.
6. You don’t have to do the shopping.
7. You need not do the dusting at this very moment.
8. My wife needn’t have packed so many clothes for holiday.
9. Jerry didn’t need to take the last exam.
10. I needn’t have bought so much bread.
11. Lucy didn’t have to do the ironing because her husband had done it for her.
12. You don’t need / have to have a visa when you travel to Great Britain.
13. You were supposed to make this phone call.
14. Let’s eat out tonight.
15. Mike must be a millionaire.
16. She can’t have paid so much for her packaged tour.
17. She must have worked on this project all night. She looks exhausted.
18. Why don’t we have a picnic in the forest?
19. You had better find a compromise.
20. You don’t have / need to take a taxi. It’s not far away.
21. You must not smoke at the bus stop.
22. You are not allowed to talk to the driver.
23. They are likely to win the match.
24. Megan needn’t have paid so much for her car.
25. Shall I lend you a hand with your assignment?
26. Would you mind if I use your computer?
27. Steven may have got stuck in the traffic jam in the city centre.
28. Mary should keep up working out.
29. Is he likely to pop a question this evening?
30. My husband gave me his word that he would clean my car.
31. I will do my best to meet the deadline.
32. You can give me a call whenever you want.
33. The older he becomes, the wiser he seems.